FELLOWSHIP AND GRANT OPPORTUNITIES 2007-2008
WARA POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS 2007-2008
Applications are being accepted for the WARA Post-Doctoral Fellowship for research in West Africa during the summer of 2008. These fellowships are open to persons already holding a Ph.D. who wish to conduct research for a 2 to 3-month period in order to 1) complete or elaborate upon an earlier project; 2) initiate a new research project; or 3) enhance their understanding of a particular topic in order to improve teaching effectiveness or broaden course offerings. Funded through the bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. State Department, this competition is open to U.S. citizens who currently hold a teaching position at an institution of higher education in the United States or who work in another related domain (e.g. public health or museology).
Each fellowship will provide round trip travel to a West African country and a stipend of up to $3,000. The West African Research Center (WARC) in Dakar, Senegal may assist with academic contacts and affiliations and recommendations for lodging in the country chosen by the fellow.
Candidates must submit:
· A 50-80 word abstract of the proposed research project
· An essay of no more than six (6) double-spaced pages describing the concept, methodology and significance of the proposed research project to their academic field, as well as how this research contributes to the mission of WARA. A one-page bibliography relevant to the proposal may also be attached
· Three (3) letters of reference by colleagues in the applicant's field
· Curriculum vitae
· Proof of U.S. citizenship (copy of passport)
· A WARA grant application cover sheet (downloadable from WARA website)
Complete applications will consist of one original and three copies of all materials (4 sets total) except letters of reference. Letters should be included in the application packet in envelopes sealed and signed by the referee. Letters of reference sent separately will not be considered.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY DECEMBER 1, 2007.
Upon completion of their research, fellows are required to submit a detailed report of their work and findings. This report will subsequently be published in the biannual WARA newsletter.
Please direct inquiries and submit applications to:
African Studies Center
270 Bay State Road
Boston MA 02215